[wp-hackers] Plugin Repository

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Jan 14 20:21:17 GMT 2005

Jason Hoffman wrote:
> There are lots of fun things can do with post-commit hooks, it would be
> possible to have .zip and tar.gz automatically built upon commit. I'd
> just need to think how that would be done per project directory.

Well, that's kind of what I'm doing.  The problem is that it's probably
not a good idea to distribute trunk archives exclusively.  It might be
practical to export tagged versions and the trunk HEAD.  I've been
trying to write a web interface that lists the tagged versions available
in a project, and then have it build (and subsequently cache) the
archive based on the selected tag.

So far, I've had no luck getting PHP to interface with the svn clients.
  Too many icky exec() permisions to set on my Windows host to make it
work.  But the concept is sound.  Try calling "svn list
http://svn.wp-plugins.org/geo/tags" to get a list of tagged versions on
the Geo project, for example.

Capture that output with shell_exec(), parse it, and easily provide a
list of tags to export.  You could easily traverse the whole repo on a
daily chron and compress new tags into archives from each project.

So does any project not use projectname/tags?  Are there any
userspace/projectname/tags out there?

It might be nice if the system offered to export an archive from a
specific revision, but then we're talking about a lot of cache space for
arbitrary revision numbers.  So maybe not.

Owen