[wp-hackers] "save it silently for later crunching"

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Feb 24 20:28:44 GMT 2005

Albert Holm wrote:
> Den 2005-02-24 20:34:41 skrev Brian Dupuis <wordpress at coldforged.org>:
>
>> As Matt said when I asked about this a week ago:
>>
>> "Crunching later, we just need something to crunch in the next
>> version  or for an enterprising plugin."
>>

> Sorry, must have missed it. I solved it for my own need by not
> inserting  spam into the database at all, but I figure it does not work
> for everyone.

The nice thing about storing the spam in the database is it gives you a
chance to retrieve the original comment from the trash bin should it
turn out not to be spam.

A simple plugin would send a digest of the last X spam titles so that
you could retrieve the false positives from the ether, and cull old
spams from the database that were never approved.  It should probably
also verify incoming comment IPs against ones already marked as spam -
say, within the last hour - and hold them over as spam, too.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I wonder if anyone has done that yet.

/me whistles innocently.

Owen