[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Feb 21 04:44:41 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 19:35 -0700, Craig Hartel wrote:
>Matthew Mullenweg wrote:
>>
>> As I've said before, I think this was 95% due to it being so long since
>> the last feature release. People were hearing about kickass themes and
>> seeing plugins that only worked with 1.5, so they wanted to upgrade.
>>
>> This can be backed up by looking at the unstable issues in the forums
>> over time. The further you get from the last major release the more
>> there are.
>>

>Agreed. Which is why I think that there should be limits to the nightlies so
>that this doesn't happen again! :D

Nightly builds are a staple of open source development.  That's how the
software is tested.

Perhaps a wp-test mailing list would help.  Direct beta traffic off the
forums.

Regardless, releases will hopefully be more frequent now, meaning that
there will be a much shorter beta cycle and less incentive for users to
resort to nightly builds.

Ryan