[wp-hackers] Differentiating nightlies and betas

David Clark david at davidsaccess.com
Sun Feb 20 23:59:32 GMT 2005

Hi,

Now that we are post 1.5 and transitionng from cvs to Subversion, I
would like to raise a tangential "meta" issue.

Basically, I would suggest doing away with  nightlies in favor of less
frequent, though more clearly documented , builds.

I am fully where of both the need for testers and people's desire to
have the latest and greatest, but I fear that nightlies convey a false
sense of completeness. I would argue that those of us who what and/or
need up to the minute changes do not use nightlies anyway, but rather
update  file by files.

For those that are less intimate with the code but don't  mind "beta"
software, there should be intermittent builds that are based on
functional mile,stones, and not just change in day, week, or  month.
They should be documented with a list of FUNCTIONAL differences (not
just a log of line-by-line changes), and a list of known/outstanding
issues.

I understand it requires more on the part of the "developers", but I
think it would prevent confusion and facilitate more meaning feedback
from testers/users.

Thoughts?

dc