[wp-hackers] Memcache / memcached

Dan Thrue rummanddan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:16:37 GMT 2005

Hi Per,

I have been working some with MemCached and have build a small
lightweight client if you dont want to use the php module or dont have
the ability to recompile php...

http://www.weirdsilence.net/software/memsession/

I run a "rather large" community site in Denmark and have tried to
apply this solution to it, and it speeds up performance a great bit,
and you still are able to use sessions in loadbalanced solutions (the
reason i started developing it).

I tried to make my own version of WordPress cache into memcached, but
as another one noticed on the wp boards, it isnt the "dynamic content"
thats the problem for now, its the interpretation of the large php
files WP requires to run:
http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/posts/2005/02/02/111/, so I made a testplugin
that worked similar, but used MemCached as placeholder (and the above
linked MemCachedClient), it seemed to work fine, but didnt get an
performance improvement though, cause of my very slow server, that
runs all the applications...

On of the wp-developers stated on the wp board that a "file_exists"
would be done at a very early stage at the wp-execution process, so a
such Plugin Could be applied without editing core wp-files... So if
that will be the case I think I will make my solution ready for an
actual plugin...

Regards,
Dan