[wp-hackers] Some Theme Changes

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Feb 15 19:39:38 GMT 2005

Chris Davis wrote:

>Yeah I understand where it is and what it does, I just was not
>understanding why this should be something the user is being forced to
>do via an editor when it could be just as easily set via the control
>panel in a user friendly way using the_head or something similiar.

I'm the one who submitted the bug that resulted in this change, so let
me elaborate:

Sometimes external applications need access to WordPress functions.  For
instance, I have MagpieRSS "include" WordPress and then download my
blogroll, grab the feeds of everyone on my blogroll, and then parse them
accordingly.  The themes behavior of WordPress can sometimes "take over"
if this is done, and redirect to the theme page.  So for backwards
compatibility, this theme define needs to be set before themes will
"take over."

The alternative was to define something if you _don't_ want themes to
take over... but that would break previously written applications that
work by including wp-blog-header.php

If you have a custom template now as your main index.php file, it's
fine... you aren't using themes, so you don't need the define.  But if
you _are_ using themes, then there isn't anything in your main index.php
file anyway... no customizations, that is.  So every time you upgrade
WordPress, you should be upgrading that index.php, along with all other
WordPress files you haven't modified.

So the only people who will really need to go in and edit stuff are 1.2
upgraders who want to use themes... and they'll have to get under the
hood making their custom index.php file into a theme anyway... so I
think this is a good approach.