[wp-hackers] Backup Plug-in and WordPress Plug-In System - Was Re:" "

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Sun Feb 13 23:38:23 GMT 2005

Jonathan Firestone wrote:

>Okay, I can understand where you're coming from - but for every
>plug-in I add, I can probably expect (if it's anything like what's
>expected for installing the backup tool) at least one if not two or
>three php files to be added somewhere in support of the product.
>Eventually that will add clutter, introduce breakage points and in
>some cases will replace or alter existing code. I've seen examples of
>this in the past releases, and even now in this one.

Could you clarify what you mean here? If you mean past WP releases, once
1.5 is out, and the core code stops changing, I think most plugin
authors would be more than happy to take advantage of the new
architecture to make their plugins plug-n-play.

Some plugins *do* need to read/write files, and for that, the users do
need to make things writable. That can't be worked around. What would
you have plugin devs do beside adding the files?

> If you're like me or even a novice user, you won't be interested in
>upgrading every single release. You might be one, two or three primary
>releases down the road before you've even got time for an upgrade let
>alone add features via other plug-ins.

I'm unable to follow what you're saying, though I'd like to. What does
whether you want to upgrade or add plugins have to do with how plugins
are installed?

>A system that stays clean to the point where two distinct processes
>happen: Upgrades and Plug-in Activations.  For upgrades,  all that has
>to be done is a complete replacement of primary scripts in a separate
>part of the directory tree.

To upgrade WP, you just overwrite your old wp files... what's this about
a separate directory tree, and how would it help?

>For Plug-Ins, I drop in the folder
>containing the plug-in, and when I go to a single page listing all
>detectable plug-ins, I'd click "Activate/Install" on the plug-in. I
>realize that in some respects this is possible

This is what should be happening. Have you looked at
http://wp-plugins.net? Many, many plugins are capable of one-click
installation.

> - and perhaps the fact
>this feature doesn't exist with all plug-ins means the developers
>aren't trying to set up install scripts or keep the plug-in overrides
>completely separate within the directory tree... Regardless I believe
>that should be the overall goal. I could be wrong, but simple, easy?
>Right now alot of these installs aren't.

What does "developers aren't trying to set up install scripts or keep
the plug-in overrides completely separate within the directory tree"
mean? The plugin devs or WP devs? What overrides? There is just one
directory tree for plugins, /wp-content/plugins.

This WP backup plugin is quite unrepresentative of WP plugins in
general. Which are the ones you've tried? No plugin should be adding
stuff outside the wp-content/plugins folder. I think your grievances are
more because of plugins devs not going about things properly (a lack of
developer documentation currently adds to that) than that of the WP
plugin system.