[wp-hackers] Backup Plug-in and WordPress Plug-In System - Was Re:" "

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Feb 13 22:32:24 GMT 2005

David Clark wrote:
  > Thanks -- now go back to the forums where your  illinformed dribble is
> more tolerable and weilcome

Hooray for being supportive and inclusionary!

David, I would normally send the following to you personally, but since
you had no problems dressing down the original poster, I figure you can
handle it:

Who the hell do you think you are to spout out this kind of nonsense?
This mailing list is about _hacking_ WordPress, in the many connotations
of that term.  There's been a lot of stuff discussed that I don't
generally agree with, or care about, but the point is to engage in
conversation.

Your demeaning, derogatory comments are _exactly_ the thing that turn
aside casual users, preventing them from taking further steps into the
development of the products they use.  We _need_ casual users to
participate, because they see things through different eyes.  We
sometimes get too focused on technical aspects, and forget how to see
things as "regular users".  We need to encourage those regular users who
are interested into making the leap into fledgling developers.

To Jonathon:
I hope you know that David Clark is _not_ representative of the larger
WordPress community.  I, for one, welcome discussion and conversation,
even if I don't agree with what's being said.  Please don't let David's
inflammatory response discourage you from participating.

Any content you place in the wp-content/ directory will _not_ be
over-written by WordPress upgrades (save for plugins distributed with WP
itself, which are few).  All plugins you download and install yourself
will be untouched when you upgrade to a new version of WordPress.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35