[wp-hackers] Backup Plug-in and WordPress Plug-In System - Was Re:" "

Jonathan Firestone jonathan.firestone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 21:32:56 GMT 2005

Mathias:

Because Alexander is right.
Did you see the instructions for setting up the plug-in?

>To install the backup system:
>1) unzip all files on your computer
>2) Make a directory inside your wp-content and name it backup
>3) Assign write permissions to the backup folder you just created
>4) Copy all included files (except readme.txt and backuprestore.php)
to your wp-admin folder
>5) Copy backuprestore.php to your wp-content/plugins directory and activate
>4) Limit access to the backup folder with an .htaccess file such as...

(and the instructions go on for another 25 or so lines.)

Frankly most WordPress plug-ins aren't really plug-ins. Making
plug-ins and the main distribution of WordPress as light as possible
should mean
1) being able to put a plug-in into the plug-ins directory,
2) have the application auto-sense the plug in and then let that be it,
Just like in an application like Photoshop Elements. I would think the
best way to handle any plug-in features would be to make it easy for
the basic non-hacking user to set up and understand and freely add
functionality. IMO, that's where WordPress falls short. At worst, only
one file, perhaps the configuration file should be changed (again, you
could have the config be modded automatically to support the existence
of certain plug-ins, if the plug-ins are to be officially vetted in
some way.)

Why do I say this and use the Backup plug-in as an example? It seems
to me that any backup function that forces you to drop files into a
directory that should only house main distribution of the software
(and nothing more -- so the main distribution of the product can be
easily and simply upgraded) is a MODIFICATION, not truly a plug-in.
It's one I have to track every time I upgrade.

I think that's the reason why folks look at a great backup tool (or
any other great "plug-in"), and say "I don't want to have to remember
let alone presume what files have been altered, etc etc etc to make my
site have this great functionality."  Matthias, That is why however
great this backup system you've mentioned is, it is somewhat
frustrating for people to have to remember or deal with hacking a
solution together, which IMO is one of the reasons for coming to
WordPress in the first place. (More or less)

Now that I've said it, hopefully this is or has been a concern with
the developers of WordPress. Offering this as a method for growth into
the product will only ease participation.

-J