[wp-hackers] themes internationalization

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Sat Feb 12 23:05:53 GMT 2005

Hello,

When I tried to internationalize some of the strings in the default theme I got the following answer
from Matt (http://mosquito.wordpress.org/view.php?id=769):

<quote>
This is on purpose to make the themes easier to work with. Pre-localized versions of WordPress will
have the themes manually translated in the download.
</quote>

Will this really be the approach for themes internationalization?

I agree that no internationalization calls in the themes will make the work of the theme writers
easier, but doesn't it make the work of the translators respectively harder?

In my opinion the lack of i18n in the themes, and the need of manual search for strings in the code
will weaken the desire for work in translators. However this is just my opinion. The power is in
your hands...

Regards,
Nikolay