[wp-hackers] Themes: Moving from 1.2.x to 1.5

Sebastian Herp newsletter at scytheman.net
Fri Feb 11 15:45:19 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 07:42 +0000, Podz wrote:
>

>>Safe mode killed this stone dead when I tested last night.
>>

>Yeah, unless your host runs php under your username, safe_mode will kill
>this.  Need to handle safe_mode gracefully.
>
>Ryan

Yesterday I tried to update the wordpress blog of a friend of mine. It
didn't went as smoothly as it could have ...

1. Wordpress 1.5 comes with an index.php which overwrites the original
index.php of wordpress 1.2. So there should be a big big warning that
upgraders should not overwrite their index.php if they want to keep
their old design.

2. Running php as a module seems to kill it, too. I manually created the
wp-content/themes directory and made it world-writable. Wordpress then
created a directory named after the blog, but didn't copy anything into
it. The folder was owned by the apache-user and the ftp-user had no
permissions to alter it in any way :-( Even worse ... empty directories
in wp-content/themes seem to kill the presentation-category in the admin
interface

Sebastian