[wp-hackers] Dashboard Clutter

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Feb 4 14:31:36 GMT 2005

Owen Winkler wrote:
> It's also a good point that loading it up with feeds or features can
> cause the Dashboard to load slowly.

The dashboard ought not pull feeds on every hit (and maybe it doesn't; I
haven't looked at the code).

It might be nice(r) to have regular user visits activate the feed query
process.  So every time a visitor hits my page (or my feed(s)),
WordPress checks:
* when was the last time it queried for dev news?
* is it currently pulling a feed?
If false for both, set a lock and then pull the feed.  When done, update
the last-pulled variable and release the lock.

This way feeds won't get unduly pounded from any single location (at
least not as a result of WP!), and admins always get new-ish news
without waiting for their admin panels to load.