[wp-hackers] Dashboard Clutter

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Fri Feb 4 10:18:39 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> And man, there's a lot of self-serving crap in my blog admin now.
>
> Open to productive suggestions.

I'd say, make "Latest activity" the main aspect of the dashboard and put the
rss feeds at the bottom of the page, below the fold so to say. The exception
here could be a notification of important updates.

Further, the latest activity could be expanded to make it more useful. The
first thing to come to mind is to also show the number of items awaiting
moderation and a direct link to the Manage>Moderation page.

For admin logging in there could be extra information about other authors
and their respective latest activities, possibly with direct links to the
user management pages.

Maybe later, when WP supports multiple blogs, the latest activity boxes
could multiply, giving you an overview of what is happening on different
blogs, or maybe the latest activity would change into an aggregate of all
blog activity.

There is however one big caveat with incorporating external elements into
the interface: what if for some reason or the other the external elements
are not accessible? Will the interface still load? Will I still be able to
login and manage my blogs? Will it be quick or dog slow?

For instance, when I use the upgrade script, it fetches the WP logo
externally and not locally and I always notice a serious lag for that page
to display that other pages of the admin interface don't show.

Frank.