[wp-hackers] Themes: Moving from 1.2.x to 1.5

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Feb 1 07:42:43 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren wrote:
> Upgrading templates from 1.2.x to 1.5 is automatically done during
> upgrade if wp-content/themes is writable.  A theme named after the
> weblog title is automatically created from the existing template files
> and made the active theme.  We should mention somewhere that wp-
> content/themes should be made writable before install/upgrade.  Perhaps
> the install/upgrade itself should check for this and warn.

Safe mode killed this stone dead when I tested last night.

On a non-safe mode site, I wasn't sure where to put the original
index.php. If I left it where it was, it remained unaltered and nothing
got written to /themes. It was late though so I'll play again later.

> If someone wants to upgrade manually, here are the steps.

As I said in #irc last night,
rboren+++

Fantastic stuff, works a treat !
It's in a guide albeit wrapped in some slightly different language.

> During a first time install of 1.5, a site theme is automatically
> created if wp-content/themes is writable.  The site theme is a copy of
> the default theme with a modified theme header.  It is named after the
> blog title.  Users should be encouraged to avoid making modifications
> directly to themes shipped with WP (Default and Classic).  They should
> be copied to another theme directory and renamed.  This avoids the
> overwrite-during-upgrade problems.

I'll try and note this somewhere in the upgrade guide too.

If anyone wants to test the manual guide on a testblog, can they get in
touch ?

P.