[wp-hackers] RE: invitation develop a reBlog plugin for WordPress

Michael Frumin mfrumin at eyebeam.org
Tue Sep 28 03:41:53 UTC 2004

Kim,

Before you go any further with your hacking on feed on feeds, please
install the f-o-f derivative from the reblog distribution (see
www.reblog.org) -- we've basically done that already.

That component, called ReceSS, takes in RSS feeds (i.e. what f-o-f does)
and lets you make selections (and modify them too if you want).  It then
published its own RSS feed, using various dc: fields (part of RSS 1.0)
to convey the metadata of where the post originally came from and who
authored it.

the one thing I really want to add is category assignment.  And having
the huge WP userbase could be a good motivator.

The way I tied it into MT was by writing a plugin that did 3 main
things:

1) add a table to the MT database to store this attribution metadata

2) intelligently import posts from from the ReceSS feed into the MT
database

3) implement MT template tags to allow for publishing reBlog posts
appropriately, with the attribution metadata.

If you are already familiar with wordpress, I could just give you a tour
of the ReceSS system and the logic I used for MT, and you should be able
to to the WP plugin no problem.  If you don't have a ton of time and it
happens slowly, that's a lot better than not at all.

Awesome,
mike

this