[wp-hackers] Spam comments on the old posts

Mark Shields laebshade at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:48:48 UTC 2004

Quote: * my super-easy comments-shutoff (http://wordpress.org/support/10/4268)

While it may be "super-easy" it isn't very practical.  I, like many
others, do not wish to modify the core code.  Not because I can't, but
it's much easier to override a hack than a plugin.  I have found
Dougal Campbell's Tarpit to be very useful and a great deterrent.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:39:50 +0200, Michael Heilemann
<michael at binarybonsai.com> wrote:
> About having a preview page, thus forcing people to hit submit twice:
>
> It may deter spambots, but it IMO also deters people from posting. I
> don't know how other people feel about this particular micro-trend, but
> I personally think it's a major annoyance when commenting.
>
> Aloha, Mike
> http://binarybonsai.com
>

> On 24/9-2004, at 21.28, David House wrote:
>
> > Quoting Peio Popov <peio at peio.org>:
> >
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>   from what I've seen the comment spammers usually spam on old posts
> >> and
> >> the legitimate comments are mostly on the recent posts.
> >
> > I have two very effective ways of combatting spam implemented:
> >
> > * my super-easy comments-shutoff (http://wordpress.org/support/10/4268)
> > * a wp-comments-preview.php page, which simply repeats the form from
> > wp-comments.php and shows the comment as it would be. This means that
> > two
> > submit buttons are going to have to be hit by spambots, which doubles
> > the
> > difficulty of spamming the site (and most bots aren't sophisticated
> > enough to
> > realise this)

- Mark Shields