[wp-hackers] Spam comments on the old posts

David House dave at xmouse.ithium.net
Fri Sep 24 19:28:40 UTC 2004

Quoting Peio Popov <peio at peio.org>:

> Hi Guys,
>   from what I've seen the comment spammers usually spam on old posts and
> the legitimate comments are mostly on the recent posts.

I have two very effective ways of combatting spam implemented:

* my super-easy comments-shutoff (http://wordpress.org/support/10/4268)
* a wp-comments-preview.php page, which simply repeats the form from
wp-comments.php and shows the comment as it would be. This means that two
submit buttons are going to have to be hit by spambots, which doubles the
difficulty of spamming the site (and most bots aren't sophisticated enough to
realise this)