[wp-hackers] Spam comments on the old posts

Peio Popov peio at peio.org
Thu Sep 23 19:21:46 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,
  from what I've seen the comment spammers usually spam on old posts and
the legitimate comments are mostly on the recent posts.

  So I've written a small hack to flag for approval comments that are
older than certain period of time (default: 2 weeks).

Here is the idea and please excuse the text formatting:
function my_comment_on_old_post($comments_period = 1209600) {
global $comment_post_ID, $time_newcomment, $tableposts, $wpdb;

$postdate = $wpdb->get_var("SELECT post_date FROM $tableposts  WHERE ID
= $comment_post_ID ");
if (!empty($postdate)) {
	$time_post = mysql2date('U', $postdate);

	if (( $time_newcomment  - $time_post  ) > $comments_period) {
		return false;
	}
}

	return true;
}

The function is defined in my-hacks.php and is called in
wp-comments-post.php around line 63 where:

if(check_comment($author, $email, $url, $comment, $user_ip) ) {

is replaced with

if(check_comment($author, $email, $url, $comment, $user_ip) &&
my_comment_on_old_post() ) {

It can be easily adapted to work with the posts wich are on the front
page and I might add that code later.

Tested on WP 1.2

Regards

Peio Popov