[wp-hackers] [Fwd: [wp-docs] Enclosures]

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Mon Sep 20 19:28:05 UTC 2004

Steve Ivy wrote:
> I like the idea of enabling enclosures for WordPress. There's a few
> things to think about.
>
> -- UI-wise you want to be able to just upload the file and have it added
> as an enclosure.
>     -- The problem is if the file is very large, it's annoying to do
> over HTTP.
> -- Less conveniently, you upload it via ftp to the server, and enter the
> path into WP, which finds it and calculates the file length. The length
> is required for the enclosure spec.
>
> Not sure of the best way to do it.

A few notes... "length" denotes the file size in bytes, not the playing
time of the file. Just making sure everyone gets that...

Also, you need the 'type' of enclosure, which is a standard mime-type,
like 'audio/mpeg' for instance.

See these URLs for more info/background:

   http://www.thetwowayweb.com/payloadsforrss