[wp-hackers] file upload: why actual files?

Michael Leuchtenburg michael at slashhome.org
Sun Sep 19 16:18:22 UTC 2004

Bernard Flach wrote:
> putting files into the database results in a n huge database witch
> become very slow.

Also untrue. All queries should be on indexed fields, so there is no
need to scan over each row. Also, this would be held in a separate
wp_files table, and thus would not pollute the file cache of the system
with file data when reading, say, the wp_posts table.

MySQL is capable of loading arbitrary rows, and adding rows, to a table
with LARGEBLOBs in it, quite quickly. The only problem I see with it
right now is Chris Coggburn's concern that it uses a lot of memory. I'm
working to figure out what versions of MySQL *do* handle it well, as he
implied some do.

--
Michael Leuchtenburg  |  http://slashhome.org/
cell: 413.433.0739