[wp-hackers] file upload: why actual files?

Michael Leuchtenburg michael at slashhome.org
Sat Sep 18 22:18:31 UTC 2004

Is there a design reason for Wordpress to upload files to a directory,
rather than putting them in the database? It seems to me that it would
make more sense to put them in the database, possibly associated with
individual posts. This would remove the need to have that directory
writable by the user the webserver is running as, it would remove the
need to rename files, and it would reduce the number of places data
needed to backup/recreate a weblog can be in.

I am thinking of implementing this. I would do it in a way that can run
alongside the current code, switched by an option in the admin dialog.

Any thoughts?

--
Michael Leuchtenburg  |  http://slashhome.org/
cell: 413.433.0739