[wp-hackers] Rewrite Experiment

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Sat Sep 18 18:40:54 UTC 2004

Ryan Boren wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 05:03 -0400, Mark Jaquith wrote:
>>  The only problem right now is that
>>pathinfo appears to be broken for feeds.
>>site.com/wordpress/index.php/feed/atom/ won't work using latest CVS, it
>>just returns the blog's home page.  The same thing can be seen on
>>Craig's site ( http://blog.nuclearmoose.com/feed/rss2/ ).
>

> I have no problem with pathinfo feeds in CVS.  1.2 does not support
> feeds via pathinfo, but CVS "should" be fine.  I'll look into it.
>

>>Upsides of this method: no need to update rules with new WordPress
>>version of URI scheme.  Simplification of all the mod_rewrite rule
>>creation code.
>

> There's lots of upside, assuming it works for everyone.  If anyone is
> running Apache 1.3, I'd be particularly interested in knowing if this
> works.  mod_rewrite in 1.3 has a number of bugs and missing features
> that we have to work around.  If this works, we can handily avoid all of
> those bugs.

Ryan, I'm running Apache 1.3 under FreeBSD, and here are my findings:

My test install is in a subdirectory, and I had to modify the last rule
to included the subdir info like so:

   RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /test/wordpress/index.php/$1

Once I did that, everything mostly worked fine, with a couple of
exception: Feeds on monthly archives.

These generate feeds:
   http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/feed/rss2/
   http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/comments/feed/rss2/
   http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/archives/2004/08/23/awooga/feed/

http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/archives/category/general/feed/rss2/

These just display the regular index page:
   http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/archives/2004/08/feed/rss2/

http://dougal.gunters.org/test/wordpress/archives/2004/08/23/awooga/feed/rss2/

I was running into some other comment-related weirdness for a bit, but I
finally figured out that it was specific to the test Kubrick theme that
you linked earlier. I've gone back to the default theme for now.

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/