[wp-hackers] xmlrpc.php's location

m at tidakada.com m at tidakada.com
Fri Sep 17 11:44:24 UTC 2004

> These changes don't smell right!
>
> I don't think a public url in the wp-admin directory is a good idea.
> Some people may want to password protect their admin directories using
> Apache for example. This would then break.
>
> Also, why not use the get_bloginfo() function (which you also changed)
> in wp-blog-header.php to return the pingback url? That way there will
> only be one place to make future changes to the pingback url.
>
> Mike

hi,

Since I'm not subscribed to wpcvs, I'll reply here (this may also allow
discussion).

The location in wp-admin was suggested by Matt when I talked about creating a
replacement for our old xmlrpc.php. I think it makes sense, but now that you
mention password protected directories it just doesn't seem reasonable anymore.

So, what can we do here?
a) Just replace xmlrpc.php with the new xmlrpc.php, at the same place.
b) Place the new xmlrpc.php right along index.php and so on, but rename it.

I would favor a), if only because it would allow for a seamless migration.

What are your thoughts on this?

--
Michel Valdrighi
http://zengun.org/weblog/