[wp-hackers] wp-layout.css

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sat Sep 11 02:54:08 UTC 2004

Craig Hartel wrote:
> My suggestion to this would be to simply change the name of
> wp-layout.css to wp-layout-sample.css and then make sure that
> instructions tell people to copy this file and rename it to
> wp-layout.css for use. Is this too much to ask of users? We expect it
> with wp-config-sample.php, so perhaps this isn't a stretch?

Asking users to rename and edit one file is not too much.  Asking users
to rename and edit _two_ files before their shiny new blog is ready for
action will turn a lot of people off.  WordPress already gets demerits
from some for being too hard to style.

Any changes to index.php will _also_ get trampled unless a user backs up
first, or selectively moves the upgraded files into their site from a
temporary location.

Better, I think, to have clear instructions on the download page
reminding people to backup those files they've tweaked.