[wp-hackers] WordPress centric hosting

John Watson johnw1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 23:11:56 UTC 2004

I wouldn't say uptime guarantees are meaningless.  I'd much rather go
with a host with 99.999% guaranteed uptime than 99%.  I will grant you
that 99% uptime guarantees are a bit misleading, if you don't do the
math.  99% uptime equates to 1% allowed downtime.  That's up to 7
hours of down time in a 30 day month.  99.9% = 43 minutes.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:17:44 -0700, Craig Hartel <milquetoast at telus.net> wrote:
> Raja Bhatia wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm. Yes, we can setup instances of
> > WordPress for our customers at no extra charge. Through our server
> > facility, we provide a 99% SLA uptime guarantee.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Raja Bhatia
> > http://www.WordPress-Hosting.com
> >

> Uptime guarantees are meaningless. It's like Domino's pizza guarantee of a 30
> minute pizza delivery when statistically, 99% of all pizza transactions happen
> in 28 minutes. I guarantee 100% that the sun will rise in the east and set in
> the west.
>
> What about bandwidth? What about storage space? What kind of servers? I applaud
> the donation to WordPress, but to be honest, it's a bit of marketing hype since
> I'll never see your books and will never know if you live up to your promise.
>
> I know that this sounds like it's all negative, but I just want to inject some
> realism into stuff like this before everybody blindly sends their VISA number to
> PayPal. I'm one of those "I'll believe it when I see it types."
>
> Craig Hartel
> Nuclear Moose.

John
http://flagrantdisregard.com/