[wp-hackers] wp-sidebar.php - In or Out? [was Re:1.3a2 CVS]

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:11:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:45:30 -0700, Kristin <kpishdadi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I already use an include for my sidebar, I find it is easier to keep
> things organized.

My index page (minus comments) looks like
<?php
require('./wp-blog-header.php');
include_once('htmlhead.php');
?>
<?php
include_once('pageheader.php');
include_once('searchcheck.php');
include('content.php');
$countername = 'mike';
include_once('pagefooter.php');
include_once('leftcolumn.php');
include_once('rightcolumn.php');
?>

and has done since the b2 days. It is convenient for me because I
reuse the sidebar includes on other non-wp pages on my site. I
wouldn't recommend it to anyone else though.

I understand that trying to stop users breaking their sites is a
compelling reason to split the header, footer, and sidebar from the
main index. However, I do think it will be confusing to the class of
users who are meant to benefit from it.

The whole concept of a single page in their browser being made up of
multiple parts will be alien to them. They can just about grasp "index
page, pictures and the css thing."

If the decision is to keep the include files, then I have to agree
that having the sidebar in the 'footer' is even more confusing, and
the sidebar should be another include.

I think that ultimately what is needed is clean, simple templating
system, copious comments in a single index template, and a well
written step-by-step tutorial.

Mike
--
Mike Little