[wp-hackers] hack/feature addition idea: del.icio.us in the links manager

kellan kellan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:48:22 UTC 2004

On Tue,  7 Sep 2004 09:56:23 +0000, m at tidakada.com <m at tidakada.com> wrote:

> It would be cool if WP could directly interact with a del.icio.us bookmarks
> list.

Yeah, it would be cool!.

> - WP would synch the bookmarks in a cache of sorts, to avoid making
> outside connections at display time.

Two way sync is never an easy problem.   It would be much simpler if
you decided that WP or del.icio.us were the definitive source, and did
a one way sync.  The del.icio.us APIs are fairly straightforward, so
this would be fairly simple if you could decide who was the definitive
source.

> - If the user adds a link in the del.icio.us 'imported' links category (let's
> name it 'Sicilia'), the link is posted to del.icio.us.

My wp-rss-aggregator[1] might be useful place to start, as it watches
an RSS feed, and post a new entry for each new item.  I imagine it
would be fairly simple to adapt it to watching the del.icio.us RSS
feeds, and posting a new link.

> - If the user deletes a link in 'Sicilia' in WP, the link is deleted on
> del.icio.us (if that's possible -- I haven't checked that yet).

It is possible to delete items from del.icio.us, and this is one of
those issues which makes 2-way sync so challenging.  del.icio.us isn't
going to report a deleted item to you, it's going to simple cease
exsiting, so in order to detect a delete you are going to have to look
at *every* del.icio.us item (in a given time period) and compare it to
every link in WP to find the differences.

One approach would be to re-tag del.icio.us items as 'isDeleted', and
then allow WP to do the actual deleting.  Now I'm not sure if
del.icio.us will treat this as an update and have the item re-appear
in recent posts or not.  And the service seems to be down this
morning, or one could test it.

> The whole experience wouldn't be much different than the experience one
> gets when using the current Links Manager.

Might be fun to include the del.icio.us style tagging.

> (Just throwing this idea around, if anyone has an implementation idea for
> it...)

Sounds cool, hope someone implements it.

-k

1. http://laughingmeme.org/archives/002203.html