[wp-hackers] Multisite Hacking

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sat Sep 4 15:31:44 UTC 2004

I need a multi-hosting blog solution yesterday so I've
started hacking on v1.2. I notice there is a forum post
and a Wiki page (I'd continue there but I can't figure how
to login to edit a page) and suggestions a future version
will support multi-site/hosting options. My methodology
is quite invasive but it gives me a single codebase with
only a soft link to wp-images, 3 css files and a modified
index.php in each vhost folder so each instance is quite
light at the expense of modifying the core included code.

My "specs" are, minimal "stuff" in each vhost folder so
as much of the core as possible is shared, the possibility
of separate CSS files and images (by making wp-images a
real folder rather than a soft link) and a completely
separate database for each instance (I think the solution
I read about is for separate look n feel and posts but
with a common admin)... and a SQLite backend.

Is there any interest in yet-another-multisite attempt and
should I detail my approach here, or somewhere ?

--markc