[wp-hackers] The same could be said for DOS-style newlines.

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 05:52:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:50:08 +0200, Sebastian Herp
<newsletter at scytheman.net> wrote:
> Mike Little wrote:
>
> >The reason for sticking to a standard is that if the line ends change
> >back and  forth between different contributions it really screws up
> >the CVS diffs.
> >So a standard was picked (Unix line ends \n only) and it should be adhered to.
> >
> >Mike
> >

> It shouldn't  ... cvs is smart enough to automatically convert between
> CR an CRLF
>
> Sebastian

Not quite, CVS on Windows (possibly on the Mac too) will convert LF to
CR+LF and back *if* it is configured that way.

However, the issue we had was that if one developer checked in a file
with LF line endings, then another next checked in the same file with
CR+LF line endings, CVS would (correctly) record EVERY LINE as
changed!
This is less than useful when trying to track changes.

Hence the decision to standardise on one encoding.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/journalized/