[wp-hackers] Coding Standards

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 21:30:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:54:19 -0700, Toivo Lainevool
<tlainevool at xmlpatterns.com> wrote:
> Mike Little wrote:
>
> >As Alex already pointed out, we already have guidelines here:
> >http://wordpress.org/docs/developer/coding-style/
> >
> >Perhaps they could be more explicit though: i.e. "Pear standards
> >except as noted here."
> >
> >Mike
> >
> The problem is the wp code *doesn't* follow the pear standards as far as
> I can tell.

As it says at the head of the page to which I linked:
"Some legacy parts of the WordPress code are inconsistent in their
style, and our goal is to gradually improve this as we work through
all of the code."

> For example, the PEAR standard states:
> "Class names should always begin with an uppercase letter"
> (http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.naming.php)
>
> Examples of wp class names: xmlrpc_client,  wpdb

Interestingly, both examples you give are non-wordpress code!

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/journalized/