[wp-hackers] Another anti-spam technique

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Oct 29 15:21:29 UTC 2004

Owen Winkler wrote:
> [...]
 >
> Also, has anyone received comment spam that did not have the "HTTP_VIA"
> header?  I have configured WordPress to send a complete set of server
> variables ($_SERVER[]) in every admin comment notification email so that
> I can examine these.  Every spam I've received has had this header,
> indicating that a proxy was used to submit the comment.

I had added code to the local copy of my TarPit plugin recently to send
me the full $_SERVER[] output, in order to narrow down the headers for
proxy connections. But the spam I've been getting lately has started
coming from a new set of IPs that I didn't already have blocked yet.

I'm fairly certain that all of the comment spam I've been seeing lately
(and there's been a lot of it) has come via proxies. I've also seen a
common Referer: 12.163.72.13, and I've added referer checks.

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/