[wp-hackers] Another anti-spam technique

Kimmo Suominen kim at tac.nyc.ny.us
Thu Oct 28 16:40:33 UTC 2004

I should've worded that statement a bit differently: it is fine to add
features that use writable files, as long as WP is still usable without
the writable files.

As for the wp-comments.php mod to use a temporary file...

How about using a random $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] and check for that?  It
would require neither JavaScript nor cookies.  If the PATH_INFO does not
match, the comment could be scrapped, since it obviously didn't come
through the WP site.

The only requirement I can think of is with Apache 2.0: it does not send
PATH_INFO to PHP scripts by default.  With "AcceptPathInfo On" you can
enable the behaviour familiar from Apache 1.3.x.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html

Regards,
+ Kim
--