[wp-hackers] Forget Commenter's Info

Alex King alex at alexking.org
Fri Oct 15 04:21:46 UTC 2004

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/sep1998/nf80929b.htm

1. Eliminate options. Often, engineers and designers can't agree on the
best way to perform a task. When this happens, their first tendency is
to make it an option, allowing both methods. An example of this is the
"overstrike" and "insert" modes for entering text from a keyboard. How
many times have users accidentally hit the "Insert" key and not have a
clue why text starts disappearing as they type! An abundance of
preferences and options makes great feature lists on packages, but
these "features" are confusing to users and rarely used. Good design is
like good editing, eliminate the extraneous, leave only the essential.
It is difficult to do.

--Alex

http://www.alexking.org/