[wp-hackers] HTMLArea Integration

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Sat Oct 9 06:27:15 UTC 2004

I'll agree with what people have been saying about the WYSIWYG editors not generating clean code. But some are worse & some are better. We'll have to decide from the latter portion, obviously.
Another RTE that I'd like to mention is SPAW Editor. As you can see in its demo, its highly customisable & looks pretty good too, but the problem again is that it works with IE5.5+ only. I'd prefer it over htmlArea & other editors mentioned, but then I use IE6. ;) The SPAW Editor is available in PHP & ASP.NET flavours & easy to integrate & use. The PHP version has a class whose object you can create & set some properties & then generate the RTE. No messing around in JavaScript. :)

I rigged up a heavily modified version of htmlArea2 in WP when I started using it as the default htmlArea2 sprang up errors on my Win2K Adv Serv. But then that too didn't produce decent code. Though it did use <strong> tag instead of the <span> tags for making a text bold.

But then I switched back to the default WP editor with quick tags & it seems nice. :)

Firstly, the main issue here is that the editor should be a cross browser thing. Here is one that I know. An RTE in Flash by Josh Dura. This will work in any browser that has FlashPlayer6+ installed in it. I've tested it in IE6 & FireFox0.8, both with FlashPlayer7 plugin. It'll need to be customised a bit as the save button on it saves the files on the client machine by default, in the FlashPlayer cache.

-----
Amit Gupta

|| Canned!! -- my Atropine || iG:Syntax Hiliter v2.0 Preview ||
|| iGEEK.INFO || Free Nokia Ringtones || Online Gaming @ Games Planet ||