[wp-hackers] 1.2.1

Kitty kitty at mookitty.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 01:26:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 17:20, Mike Little wrote:
> OK. Here's what I have done:
>
> I checked out the 1.2 branch (using the WordPress-Ver-1_2-Branch tag)
> and rollback all the changes made on that branch.
[snip]

Ugh, sounds like we've got a royal CVS mess on our hands. (And no, SVN
isn't the answer to *this* problem.)

Starting with the 1.3 release we should probably move to a BSD style
tagging system with RELEASE/STABLE/CURRENT tags on each point release.
The way these work is pretty simple, and don't affect the actual release
numbering (alpha/beta/RC).

I'll use 1.3 as an example here:
When WP is ready for a release, the CVS is tagged with 1_3-RELEASE, this
is a code freeze and won't get updated.
If any bug fixes are needed, 1_3-RELEASE is branched and any changes are
then put into 1_3-STABLE, and any 1.3.x zips can be rolled from this
branch.
The "CURRENT" branch is the main trunk of development, and is more of an
shorthand for the latest commits.

This way, if you'd like to get a snapshot of 1.7 when the current
release is 2.2, all that's needed is "cvs co -r 1_7-RELEASE" or,
to get 1.7+bug fixes do "cvs co -r 1_7-STABLE"

The repository will be clean, we'll have a nice snapshot history in the
repository and the tags/branches will have standard names.

It'll be a little more work in tagging when getting close to a release,
but the benefits will be worth it.
--
Cheers,		     Blog: http://blog.mookitty.co.uk
Kitty		     PC Repair: http://www.girltech.net