[wp-hackers] Addition to check_comment(): return false if thepost is older than 21 days

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Oct 2 12:15:32 UTC 2004

> The built in check_comments does what it does, check the comment and
> accepts it or moderates it. Doing more is the job of plugins, and making
> the moderation process more transparent is worthwhile. But making
> check_comments do more processing is adding code in the wrong place.

I'm simply suggesting that if we replace check_comments with a customized
plugin, that the plugin should be able to return a result that prevents
WordPress from taking more action, such as sending out moderation emails.
Because if I wrote a plugin to automatically delete really offensive
comments, the system outside of check_comments still behaves as it always
did, sending emails to moderators, etc.

That is to say, I agree that the work should be done in the plugin, but that
some core behaviors need to be optional to enable everything that a plugin
would want to do.

> I think at this point, code needs to be shown. Write up your favorite
> method and post a diff. Let us have a whack at breaking it, and then
> we'll have an idea of what works best.

Dang it, not when I'm an hour from leaving on vacation... :(

Owen