[wp-hackers] Building on WP without modifying the wp source

Niklas Saers niklas at registrar.no
Sat Oct 2 10:31:48 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'm sorry if this is a thoroughly discussed topic, if so, please just
send me a pointer, I've been unable to find good information on this
through Google or WP support forum.

I'm currently following 1.3-cvs after nuking my 1.2 setup. Reason for
the nuke was that I love fiddeling with plugins, but each plugin seems
to want to modify the wp core. For instance, the "static pages status?"
discussion of this morning recommended a plugin that requires a
replacement of wp-admin/plugins.php. Seems half of the plugins I try
need to edit functions.php.

I was wondering what's the recommended way of building on WP. What would
have been the correct way to build a plugin framework exention like
http://stevarino.com/wp/framework/? What would be the correct way to add
functions rather than to add them to functions.php?

The same question goes for themes. I'm currently using Kubrick as a base
and make modifications upon that. Now, if I wanted to just be able to
update the theme when, say version 1.3.1 comes, I have this idea that I
should be able to just update the base but keep my modifications in
place. Today I'd have to diff all files and figure out what's changed
and apply it by hand. I really would prefer to replace the base and iron
out whatever problems occur because of my changes.

Further more, is there any plans on adding a easy-to-install theme &
plugin option (like select file, press upload, go...)? I know of several
friends and familly members who like to toy with such things but who
really shouldn't try to go into the html/css or php.

Cheers

    Nik