[wp-hackers] Addition to check_comment(): return false if thepost is older than 21 days

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Oct 1 22:55:07 UTC 2004

Ryan Boren wrote:

> What we should probably do is allow people to replace check_comment in
> its
> entirety so that they can implement their own moderation policy
> wholesale.
>  This means only one moderation policy plugin could be active.  This is
> the easiest way to handle it and avoids getting into implementing an
> authentication stack.

Another way to do it, instead of passing a basic "approved" or
"unapproved" value from plugin to plugin, is to have a SpamAssasin-ish
numerical level that is passed along.

In the user interface, the user could set the cutoff level for
moderation, and optionally a cutoff level for total spam deletion (for
instance, for cases where a blacklisted IP matches).

Then, in each anti-spam plugin downloaded, they could set variables at
the beginning of the script that would control that plugin's effect on
the "spam score" of the comment it handles.  Minor infractions could be
+1 or + 2.  Major infractions could be +100.  You could also set
redeeming qualities that would subtract points, such as a whitelist.

This allows for flexibility, without forcing certain things on people.
The user gets to control the weight of the various checks.