[wp-hackers] WP frontend rewrite

Ludovico Magnocavallo ludo at asiatica.org
Sun Nov 28 22:31:08 UTC 2004

Owen Winkler wrote:
> It seems pretty interesting, and measurably faster if you read the speed
> details here: http://www.qix.it/~ludo/wpff/post/if-youre-curious

Yes it's noticeably faster, but ofc I'm skipping lots of things that you
might need in your blog.

> It looks like it uses an XML templating system like Smarty from PEAR, so
> you'd need to have that installed to use it.

The templating system is not as advanced as Smarty, in fact it's a
direct descendant from the old Perl FastTemplate /PHPlib systems. It's
fast though, and allows a clean separation of code and layout.

I'm also writing a PHP TAL/TALES/METAL engine (no, PHPTAL is not an
option), as imho it's the best templating system around and it would
enable me to clean up the code quite a bit more. It will take some time
though, and I don't think it will be as fast as the current system.

Ludo