[wp-hackers] Paged is not an archive in 1.3?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Nov 22 03:31:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 10:14 +0100, Michael Heilemann wrote:
> Is this actually in 1.3a4?

It is now.

> And how does it work? What happens if I page back into a category
> archive for instance?

With the change, whenever we page, is_archive() is true and is_paged()
is true.  This is the case even when paging off of home
(/page/1, /page/2, etc.).  Having is_archive() be true is causing other
themes grief because moving from the home page to /page/2 causes a
change in style. Some folks don't like that.  So, we might want to avoid
fiddling with is_archive() when paging and just set is_paged().
However, archive.php will not be loaded when paging off of home.
index.php will be loaded and then special styling will need to be made
for the is_paged() case.  Maybe we could add a paged.php template.  In
Kubrick's case, paged.php could simply include archive.php.

For categories, authors, and such, is_archive() is already true, so
paging simply sets is_paged().  For Kubrick, this will result in the
same behavior as always.

Ryan