[wp-hackers] Anti spam idea

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 16:02:36 UTC 2004

The recognition can be done -- they've proven over 90% hit on the 'simple
CAPTCHA' case -- though remember that more complex, tricky stuff is getting
into our hands daily which hasn't been broken, AND that any OCR type system
is significantly more resource consuming than the generation itself.
Spammers aren't looking to have things take longer than they do, and will
avoid breaking CAPTCHA sites for stuff like this -- at least for this
generation.

Breaking CAPTCHAs is more for people trying to spoof affiliate sites and
such, or anything where creating and controlling some kind of account
automatically (and likely making a profit doing so) is involved.  I'd think
it's for a single targeted thing they're trying to do.

Also, from my analysis of CAPTCHA (and I haven't yet seen someone else give
this analysis yet), where the simple OCR systems seemed to be breaking down
is when normally straight-edged letters become curved -- in theory, curving
a random numbers of letters (not putting them on a curve, they do that
already by default!) would likely make it much harder to beat.

-d