[wp-hackers] Customisations/Modifications to WordPress

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Sun Nov 14 16:31:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm a new WordPress user (Installed 9 November). I've posted a bunch of
mostly inconsequential-but-not-junk posts to try to get a feel for
WordPress. I'm reasonably happy so far, it is certainly a nicer
environment than pretty much anything else I've worked with so far. (If
anybody has any suggestions, suggest away, I'm always looking for
better ideas and ways of doing things).

There are a number of little things I don't like about WordPress and
have set about fixing some of them. They are mostly things that reflect
my preferences however sometimes it is a bit more than that.

For example, in the out-of-the-box installation of WordPress categories
are supported, and rss can supply category-based feeds. The problem is
that the RSS link on the category page (.../index.php?cat=99) doesn't
provide a link to the category's feed it provides one to the site.

First off, I found a function that should provide this, but I couldn't
find it used anywhere. It also seemed to need to know too much (but I'm
not sure this is true). So I didn't use it. I modified the get_bloginfo
function (in template-functions-general.php).

Secondly, WordPress reports the title of a category RSS feed as the
site title. I modified wp-rss2.php to include the category title with a
separator that doesn't foul up the RSS validation (the default
separator used in the index page's title will not validate).

Now, why am I posting this?

1) Surely somebody has done this before, and almost surely there is
some way to do this in WordPress already. I couldn't find any way
though. Is there someplace I should be looking for this kind of thing?

2) I suppose it is possible that this isn't supported by WordPress. How
do I submit the changes? How do I tell people about it? And, related to
1), how do I find what little tweaks others have done?

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison          -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/hutch/>