[wp-hackers] Returning instead of echoing

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 04:42:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:35:51 -0500, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick idea though. Why exactly include all these functions that are
> exactly the same except for a few characters and add bloat to the
> software. Why not have a developer plugin or addon, in which they can
> download this seperately to reduce the bloat of the main wordpress
> implementation, and any plugins that depend on certain functions can
> embed them from within the developer package.

The changes are not intended for making WP friendlier to developers as
much as they are designed to make it friendlier for end-users who may
have a one-off hack gene :)
It is good, in my opinion to see WordPress giving users the options to
either return or echo, and since wordpress has to do it, I think a
plugin or pack wouldn't quite cut it. This same thread will then get
repeated every once in six months or so, with someone asking why
something that seems common-sensical is not there in the core.

Carthik.
--
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net