[wp-hackers] Fwd: [kunjan.net] Comment: "The Ansari X Prize"

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Nov 10 10:09:21 UTC 2004

Not yet.  It's still rather specific to my setup... I need to get it
working with relative paths before I can release it.  Also, it does
require modification to wp-comments-post.php so that the plugin part of
it can recognize that a comment was just moderated and redirect to the
CAPTCHA form.  I don't really see a way around this, as I can't hook
into the redirect URI at the bottom of wp-comments-post.php

But like I said, you can try it out on my test blog, here:
http://txfx.net/wp-cvs/2004/11/10/test/

What I can do, is just give a brief overview of how it works.

In wp-comments-post.php, if a comment is moderated, some parameters are
added to the end of the redirect URI.  As of right now you have to
manually make it ?blah or &blah depending on if you are using clean URI
to WP yet?  Anyway... so then when the user is redirected, they carry
?mcid=###&mcauthor=name  The name is carried as a safeguard, so that
people can't just enter in incremental comment ids and approve other
people's comments.  A plugin looks for mcid and mcauthor in $_GET and
redirects to the captcha if it finds them.  The captcha checks for a
valid moderated comment with that id and author, and then hn_captcha
takes care of the CAPTCHA stuff.  If the user passes the CAPTCHA, it
approves the comment, and redirects the user to the permalink page for
the entry.  Fairly simple.  You do need a writable temp image directory
for the CAPTCHA and some TTF font files.

I'm going to work on reducing the amount of steps it takes for a user to
install this... hopefully to the point where you can just drop in the
files, activate the plugin, make a quick modification to
wp-comments-post.php, make the image directory writable, and go.