[wp-hackers] Fwd: [kunjan.net] Comment: "The Ansari X Prize"

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Nov 10 06:47:07 UTC 2004

Kunjan Shah wrote:

>thats cool too... Is 1.3 going to have something like that built in?
>Some simple spam protection ???
>

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:25:27 -0500, Mark Jaquith
><mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
>

>>One solution would be to have a hidden value in the form that is checked
>>by a plugin when the comment is submitted.  This value could be
>>something like the hash of the raw entry text.  Sure, he could figure it
>>out by looking at the form, but most spammers don't... they post
>>comments directly.  This wouldn't penalize those who don't send referrers.

It doesn't have that at the moment... but it'd be simple to add... I
think I'm going to do it.

> I assume the original author, just like me, is getting fed up with
> having to moderate dozens to hundreds of comments per day. I'd much
> rather see them stopped at the door than having to wade through a
> moderation queue.
>
> -John

The e-mail he posted was a notification that the comment had actually
been posted.  But yeah, it can be a hassle having to wade through
moderation.  Kitten's Spaminator is a good way to stop them "at the
door," but it can be overzealous.

My latest trick was to have an optional CAPTCHA on moderation.  That is,
if a comment goes to moderation, the user is redirected to a CAPTCHA
form.  If they pass it, the comment is approved automatically.  If a
disabled user gets caught in moderation, I can approve it manually, so
there's no penalty for them like with a forced CAPTCHA.

Check it out here:  http://txfx.net/wp-cvs/2004/11/10/test/