[wp-hackers] the_excerpt improvements

Michael Heilemann michael at binarybonsai.com
Tue Nov 9 22:11:24 UTC 2004

Not sure this is the place to suggest 'features' (well, improvements
really), but here we go, and then you can let me know where to send it
if I'm OT.

First of all, the_excerpt currently removes all markup and cuts off a
post by adding an ellipse, like so...

First of all, I believe it would be beneficial if the ellipse  be more
marked, perhaps like so: [...], and linked to the entry, so that it
stands out a bit more. Another solution is to add the boxed ellipse and
then follow the entry with a link, like <!--more-->'ed entries when
using the_content.

Secondly, if you're using <!--more--> to break up your posts, and the
opening of the entry is sufficiently short, the_excerpt doesn't
actually let you know that there's a whole lot more text after the
<!--more-->, which is very confusing.

My suggestions:
a) ability to set the number of words, before 'on-the-fly' excerpts are
cut off, through a variable (so that it isn't hardcoded, which I think
is the case now)
b) ignore the use of <!--more--> or better yet, have a link appear
after the excerpt, as <!--more-->'ed entries do when using the_content
c) ability to specify text for said link
d) must revolutionize blogging as we know it...

Anyhoo, I'm tired, if this doesn't make any sense, I'm sorry ;)

Aloha, Mike
http://binarybonsai.com