[wp-hackers] Returning instead of echoing

David House dave at xmouse.ithium.net
Sun Nov 7 18:53:23 UTC 2004

Quoting Michael Heilemann <michael at binarybonsai.com>:

> But I've noticed that in WP13 at the_category_ID can be fed a parameter
> to return the value rather than echo it. Hopefully all functions will
> work that way.

See previous discussion. We've had a huge thread [1] on this topic already. I
had a proposal [2] which I still think is a good idea. It would probably be
worth extract()ing this array inside the function, so inside the function you
can use $foo instead of $args['foo']. Of course, using compact() as a way of
creating the parameter-arrays is a good idea as well.

[1]: http://wordpress.org/pipermail/hackers_wordpress.org/2004-July/000868.html
[2]: http://wordpress.org/pipermail/hackers_wordpress.org/2004-July/000935.html