[wp-hackers] Plugins -> WP Archives

Elliott Bäck ecb29 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 3 23:49:16 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I've noticed that a lot of plugins in WP 1.2.1 ignore the archives and
just filter the_content.  The result is that archives often look a lot
different than the articles.

For example, Ryan Meyers "Cutter" and MooKitty's "Link Clicker" both
should filter the_excerpt as well.  In the case of "Cutter," [CUT] and
[/CUT] tags should never appear--they should get stripped at least, at
best, they should be rendered on a "best effort" basis.  The same for
any automatic link-maker.  Imagine you have a post with an extremely
long link that your nice link formatting plugin redoes--on the main
page.  Then you go to your archives, and the long unlinked link breaks
out of your layout....

So, is there any style guide or consensus on whether to filter
"the_excerpt" stream or not?  Most (all?) plugins I've seen don't.

--
Thanks,
Elliott C. Bäck

607-229-0623