[wp-hackers] Comment form plugin hook request

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Nov 3 19:21:19 UTC 2004

David House wrote:
> Quoting Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com>:
>

>>Also, I've made a small change to a query in my
>>template-functions-comment.php that makes comments appear to have been
>>accepted to the user who submitted it (based on IP), even if they've
>>gone to moderation.  This obviates a "your comment was moderated"
>>message.  Useful?  Want patch?
>

> No point lying to the user if they can just see that their comment was moderated
> by clicking back onto the comment list and realising theirs isn't present...

The missing comment doesn't always register to them as "accepted but
unapproved", usually more as "comment system failed".  Besides that,
their comment does appear in the list with this change, but *only to
them* until it is approved.  This could slow the rate of adaptation of
comment spammers.

If not this, then some more overt kind of notice would be beneficial.

Owen