[wp-hackers] Plugin Management issue...

jill jill at pericat.ca
Tue Jun 29 06:36:40 UTC 2004

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

>David Chait wrote:
>
>> When they are interdependent, or dependent, there are cases where it'd make
>> my life MUCH easier if I knew/controlled the loading order of things.  I had
>> (apparently stupidly) assumed alphabetical load-order, given that the list
>> is alphabetically sorted.  From my (hours) debugging the code, it looks like
>> it keeps a table of which ones have been activated, and that table seems to
>> be in timestamp-of-activation order.  Which is to say random.
>
>I'd like to stick with filenames. Alphabetical loading seems logical. Then
>people can prefix their plugin with a number if they want it to load first.

If you load strictly alphabetically, prefixing with numbers can lead to different results than
expected, since the numbers are themselves evaluated as characters. IE, '10' would load
after '1' and before '2'.

Or at least, that's how it used to work with Macs and INITs, as I recall. PHP may have more
sophisticated interpretation of numbers/letters than what I've just described.

pericat
--
<http://pericat.ca/>